City of Williamsport
Job Title: Information Technology (IT) Technician
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: IT Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Hourly
Position Type: Full-time/At-Will
Position Summary: Responsible for the execution of all IT support functions (computers, networks, internet access, telephones, etc.) for City Hall, Public Works, Fire Station, River Valley Transit (RVT) and all City managed facilities. This includes supporting all IT operations to meet employee requirements as well as the support and maintenance of existing infrastructures, applications, and deployment of new technical solutions.
• Serve as the initial point of contact on all IT support related matters for all City facilities (City Hall/Police, Public Works, Fire Station, River Valley Transit (RVT) and City managed facilities).
• Work closely with the IT Manager to ensure compatibility and consistency of systems and processes.
• Collaborate with City IT administration on implementing and promoting IT solutions relating to City technology plans and goals.
• Recommending various guidelines for evaluating the IT systems and determining where changes should be made.
• Assist in budgeting for IT expenses, including the purchase of new equipment, software, infrastructure, and other related services when needed.
• Develop, design, and implement new applications and changes to existing computer systems and software packages.
• Responsible for inventory, deployment, and disposition of hardware and software.
• Maintain and update the City managed websites.
• Monitor the City’s networks ensuring that they are running efficiently, securely, and optimally.
• Support all employee computers, tablets, cell phones, and in-vehicle technology.
• Work closely with all City employees to assess and respond to IT needs.
• Research and evaluate new technologies and update knowledge and skills as required.
• Maintain security and privacy of the technology systems, communication lines (telephone and cell phone) and equipment.
• Other related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Able to interact with software effectively.
• Knowledge of desktop and mobile operating systems.
• Knowledge of networking, including but not limited to switches, firewalls, and routers.
• Knowledge of configuration, installation, maintenance; design, support, and troubleshooting of LAN/WAN/ WLAN networks supporting VOIP telephony, PCs, VPN and P2P networks and other systems.
• Knowledge of general troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge of server virtualization in an HA redundant environment.
• Able to prepare and present verbal and written reports clearly and concisely.
• Able to communicate, read, write and understand the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
• Able to work independently to complete required tasks.
• Able to be organized and maintain clean accurate files.
• Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, other government agencies and the public.
• Able to work in a constant state of alertness and a safe manner.
• Able to work with minimal direct supervision
• Graduate from college or university with an Associates and/or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology.
• Preferred three (3) years of progressive experience in working in a technical support role.
• Any combination is equivalent to experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
• Must submit to and pass a drug and alcohol screening.
• Due to access to sensitive law enforcement information, the candidate must submit to extensive background and criminal history checks and must be fingerprinted.
• The successful candidate must pass necessary CIJS coursework within 30 days of hire.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for prolong periods of time using a PC work station, approximately 6-7 hours per day.
• Must be able to use a telephone and e-mail to communicate.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, kneel; reach above shoulder level and twist body periodically throughout the day.
• Must possess sight/hearing senses so that the requirements of the position can be fully met.
• Ability to utilize hands for repetitive actions.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made to achieve the essential functions of this position.
• Must be able to lift thirty-five (35) pounds.
• Will work alone, with others and around others.
• Will work mostly in an office setting.
• While performing duties may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions, including inclement weather, extreme temperatures, noise, dust, fumes, and other conditions while performing the functions of the position.
City of Williamsport