CITY OF WILLIAMSPORT
The City of Williamsport is seeking an experienced professional with proven leadership abilities to strengthen and maintain a focused team of paid firefighters and oversee the management and operations of the City of Williamsport Fire Department. The position, hired by and reporting to the Mayor, will ensure the department carries out the City’s values, including progressive innovation, productive communication, winning teamwork, trusted service, and valued employees. The position is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all Fire Department operations; managing a $6+ million budget; managing personnel and public information; and coordinating fire activities with other agencies, City officials, and the Mayor.
The Fire Department is comprised of two fire stations and currently has 33 employees (including 2 Deputy Chiefs, Command Staff, Firefighters, and Administrative Personnel).
The ideal candidate will demonstrate:
• Positive and effective leadership abilities;
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills; and
• Extensive knowledge of fire administration, fire suppression operations including modern firefighting techniques and equipment, fire prevention, ISO, fire science accreditation process, national incident management system, and fire policies, laws, and regulations.
• The ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with City officials, City leaders, other law enforcement and the general public.
Successful candidates must possess:
• A bachelor’s degree with coursework in fire science, fire administration, business administration, or related field and extensive progressive administrative experience of a wide and progressively responsible nature in the fire services industry, including considerable supervisory experience in a career fire department. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted.
• Certification as a Fire Officer IV.
• A valid driver’s license.
Application Requirements & Deadline:
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following by Friday, February 14, 2020, at 5:00 pm:
• Complete City of Williamsport online application;
• Cover letter; and
• Three (3) professional references.