NOTICE OF JOB OPENING
CITY OF WILLIAMSPORT
Position: Director, Community & Economic Development
Location: City of Williamsport
Posted: March 6, 2020
Application Due: March 16, 2020
Type of Position: Full-time/Non-Union
Work hours: 35 hours 5 days a week (Monday thru Friday)
Deadline Date: March 16, 2020, 5:00 p.m.
Salary Range: $60,000-$65,000
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and City application to email@example.com
Position Summary: The primary purpose of the job position is to direct and supervise the activities of the Economic and Community Development Department. The position will work under the administrative direction of the Mayor, and assist the Mayor and Director of Administration with policy and legislative research and analysis related to planning and community development. In addition, this position will serve as technical advisor to the City Council, Planning Commission and Redevelopment Authority.
This position is completely funded through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program in the Federal Budget.
• Represent the Economic and Community Development Department and adopted city policy with the general public, community groups and other agencies.
• Plan, direct and supervise the operations of the Economic and Community Development Department.
• Select, train and supervise Economic and Community Development personnel.
• Prepare, monitor and authorize expenditures of the Economic and Community Development Department budget.
• Prepare and present staff reports and recommendations on community development issues.
• Provide excellent customer service through effective communication with citizens, the development of industry, regulatory agencies and other public agencies; and through efficient organization of work to meet deadlines and budget constraints.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials, other managers, employees, other agency and professional colleagues, applicants and the general public in a courteous and tactful manner.
• Other related duties as assigned
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must understand and administer laws and other regulations related to municipal planning and building construction.
• Must prepare and present verbal and written reports clearly and concisely.
• Must communicate, read, write and understand the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
• Must have knowledge of municipal land use and development ordinances, zoning regulations, subdivision regulations, building codes, other construction related ordinances, and other related public agency rules and procedures.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, other government agencies and the public.
• Must be knowledgeable of Graphic Information Systems (GIS).
• Must be proficient with computer systems and have working familiarity with related office equipment.
• Must have a current valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and personal vehicle for work-related use.
Education and Experience:
• Graduate from college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in urban planning, economics, community development, public administration, geography, business administration or other field closely related to the position.
• Preferred three (3) years of professional field experience with a public agency or experience as a planning director.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for prolonged periods of time using a PC work station
• Must be able to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
• Must be able to perform occasional field inspections and investigations.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, kneel; reach above shoulder level and twist body periodically throughout the day.
• Must possess sight/hearing sense, or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately so that the requirements of the position can be fully met.
• Ability to utilize hands for repetitive actions.
• Will work alone, with others and around others.
• Will work mostly in an office setting. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, or construction sites.
• While performing duties, may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions, including inclement weather, extreme temperatures, noise, dust, fumes and other conditions while performing the functions of the position.