Williamsport Bureau of Fire
DEPUTY FIRE CHIEF
The City of Williamsport is seeking an administrative professional with leadership abilities to strengthen and maintain a focused team of paid firefighters. The Deputy Fire Chief is an administrative position responsible for administering and directing activities within the Bureau of Fire under the direction of the Fire Chief. Primary responsibilities include managing the day-to-day operations of the Bureau of Fire to include emergency response, training, and community risk reduction, and collaboration with the Fire Chief and direct reports to ensure bureau activities and programs align with established goals and objectives. The Deputy Fire Chief will ensure a high standard of performance is established with the Bureau of Fire personnel and foster an atmosphere of continuous improvement in all areas of life safety and risk reduction.
The Fire Department is comprised of two fire stations and currently has 33 employees (including Deputy Fire Chief, Command Staff, Firefighters, and Administrative Personnel).
The ideal candidate shall have the following minimum qualifications:
• 10 years of progressively responsible career fire service experience with at least four years at the rank of Captain or higher.
• Completion of an Associate’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Fire Science, Fire Administration, Business/Public Administration, or a closely related field.
• Currently possess and maintain certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (Out of state candidates must obtain National Registry or Pennsylvania state certification within 18 months of hire).
• Experience developing, managing and delivering fire department or emergency service training programs.
• Possess the following certifications:
o Firefighter II
o Fire Officer II
o Fire Instructor II
• Possess NIMS compliance in all of the following:
• Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited college or university in Fire Science, Fire Administration, Business/Public Administration, or a closely related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted.
• Fire Inspector I
Application Requirements & Deadline:
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following by Friday, May 8, 2020, at 5:00 p.m.:
Complete City of Williamsport online application;
• Cover letter; and
• Three (3) professional references.