Job Title: Assistant Director, Community &Economic Development
Department: Community & Economic Development
Supervision: This position does not supervise
Residency Requirement: Per city ordinance, a successful candidate must reside within the city.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Type: Full-time/Non-Union
Salary: $48,000- $50,000
Position Summary: This position is responsible to research grant programs, write funding applications and coordinate the activities of the grant programs, to plan and administer the City’s federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and Home Programs. Work is performed under the direction of the Director of Community & Economic Development and is reviewed through performance reviews, reports submitted and results obtained. The employee must have a high level of attention to detail. This role routinely uses office equipment such as computers for various applications, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. The Assistant Director will be required to project and maintain a positive image on the City of Williamsport.
This position is completely funded through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program and Home Program in the Federal Budget.
Essential Job Functions:
• With community input, assist in establishing funding guidelines and priorities for community development and other grant programs.
• Implement and manage the annual application and evaluation process for the CDBG and Home programs, develop and administer the CDBG and Home programs, and other grant programs as assigned.
• Administer and maintain records, agreements, and contracts with public agencies, funding agencies.
• Provide technical assistance to prospective and actual CDBG & Home recipients and coordinate citizen participation requirements.
• Maintain project information within files and generate reporting documents from those files Develop requests for proposals for community development and housing projects.
• Manage CHDO and Home Rental project inspections and rental rates.
• Coordinate activities provided by community-based agencies and organizations with programs offered through the Community Development Department.
• Research grant programs, write funding applications, and prepare quarterly or annual reports as required by granting agencies.
• Review revenues and expenditures, project status, to ensure proper expenditures are made for grant projects.
• Assist in implementing, planning, developing, and completing economic development projects and programs.
• Coordinate and manage CDBG and Home Rehab program delivery.
• Coordinate City resources in completing other joint projects with the Chamber of Commerce and other economic development associations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must understand and administer laws and other regulations related to municipal planning and building construction.
• Must prepare and present verbal and written reports clearly and concisely.
• Must communicate, read, write and understand the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
• Must know municipal land use and development ordinances, zoning regulations, subdivision regulations, building codes, other construction-related ordinances, and other related public agency rules and procedures.
• Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, City officials, other government agencies, and the public.
• Must be knowledgeable of Graphic Information Systems (GIS).
• Must be proficient with computer systems and have a working familiarity with related office equipment.
• Must have a current valid Pennsylvania driver’s license and personal vehicle for work-related use.
• Represent the City and act as a liaison between the City and local social service and community groups Prepare resolutions and documents for City Council meetings.
• Attend meetings, prepare agendas, and minutes of meetings as required.
• Assist the Director of Economic and Community Development in other duties as assigned.
Required Education/ Experience:
• Any combination equivalent to graduation from a four-year college and two years increasingly responsible experience in Community Development Block Grant program administration.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing and spreadsheet applications.
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local funding regulations of community development activities Ability to interpret guidelines and monitor projects for compliance.
• Ability to deal effectively with representatives from public and private agencies, community groups, City officials, and the general public.
• Must be able to sit at a desk for prolong periods of time using a PC work station.
• Must be able to lift up to twenty-five (25) pounds.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, kneel; reach above shoulder level and twist body periodically throughout the day.
• Must possess sight/hearing sense so that the requirements of the position can be fully meet.
• Ability to utilize hands for repetitive actions.
• Reasonable accommodations will be made to achieve essential functions of this position.
• Will work alone, with others and around others.
• Will work mostly in an office setting. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of various land use developments, or construction sites.
• While performing duties, may be exposed to adverse environmental conditions, including inclement weather, extreme temperatures, noise, dust, fumes and other conditions while performing the functions of the position.
Hours of Work:
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
How to Apply: The City intends to fill this position as soon as possible. If interested, please submit:
1. Cover letter
3. Three employment references
4. City application
The deadline to apply is February 22, 2021, apply to:
City of Williamsport, Human Resources
Joellen Gilbert, Director HR
245 W. 4th Street, Williamsport, PA 17701
Phone: (570) 327-7571
Email: HRDirector@CityofWilliamsport.org (electronic submission preferred)
The City of Williamsport is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Derek Slaughter, Mayor