Subpoena Procedures

A subpoena, complete with caption and docket number, should be addressed to the officer and served at City Hall at the police department. This subpoena MUST be accompanied by a witness fee and mileage check or the witness WILL NOT APPEAR.

Witness Fees

Pennsylvania State Courts (Fees are set by 42 Pa. C.S. Section 5903)

  • $5.00 a day
  • $.07 a mile-round trip

Federal Court (Fees set by 28 U.S.C.A. Section 1821)

  • $40.00 a day
  • $.32 a mile-round trip

Only certified checks or money orders will be accepted and will be made payable to the City of Williamsport.

To Subpoena Records Only

General: Faxed subpoenas will not be accepted;  Subpoenas should be specific as possible regarding an incident or individual; Subpoenas should contain as much demographic information as possible to speed processing; Overbroad, burdensome, vague or “All Encompassing” subpoenas WILL NOT be honored;  A proper subpoena for records does not require a witness fee however if the documents requested are over 3 pages in length, you will be billed at the rate of $.25 cents per page over the original $25.00 fee.

Pennsylvania State or Municipal/Administrative Court

subpoena duces tecum, complete with caption and docket number, must be properly executed in the name of the Chief of Police of the Williamsport Bureau of Police, and mailed or hand delivered to 245 West 4th St Williamsport, Pa. 17701

Federal Court

Subpoenas issued in Federal Court must be hand delivered pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P 45. Federal subpoenas must contain the complete caption and docket number, and must be properly executed in the name of the Chief of Police. The subpoena must be hand delivered to the Chief of the Williamsport Bureau of Police at 245 West 4th St, Williamsport, PA 17701

Out of State

A civil subpoena from another state is not effective in Pennsylvania unless accompanied by a Pennsylvania court order domesticating the subpoena under the Pennsylvania Uniform Interstate Procedure Act (refer to 42 Pa. C.S. Section 5326). Subpoenas not received under these circumstances will be returned and not honored.

To Subpoena Both Individual and Records:

If the civil subpoena is not only for testimony, but also requires the witness to bring documents or tangible evidence, the subpoena will be returned so that two separate subpoenas may be re-issued in its place. The first subpoena must be issued to the person for testimony. A second subpoena for records or tangible evidence must be issued and served to the Chief of Police.

NOTE: All subpoenas must be in compliance with the respective Rules of Civil Procedure or Rules of Criminal Procedure.

Subpoenas for Expert Testimony:

A civil subpoena requiring expert testimony must include an expert witness fee of $300 per day. An “expert witness” is an individual who possesses scientific, technical, or other specialized knowledge by virtue of their skill, experience, training and education. It is the policy of the department that personnel may only provide expert testimony to civil litigants in cases in which they are already involved in the course of employment.


Subpoenas remain in full force and effect until compliance is completed. However, the Williamsport Bureau of Police requires written notification to the individual the subpoena is addressed to in the event of a continuance, both for the fact a continuance has occurred and for the new appearance date.

Obtaining a Copy of a Police Report

As a policy of the Williamsport Bureau of Police, we do not furnish copies of official police reports, other than Vehicle Accidents.  We will, however, in the event of loss due to theft, burglary, etc. verify that on a specific date an incident was reported to our department.  The verification will include:  date reported, location, time reported, victim, incident number, and officer taking the report.

The Records Bureau will release copies of accident reports to only parties involved in the accident or the respective insurance companies.  The cost for each Police Verification or Accident Report will be $15.00.

You can ONLY obtain a police report regarding YOU or YOUR PROPERTY.

Fill out my online form.