Newport Business Institute
Newport Business Institute (formerly Williamsport School of Commerce) was founded in 1955 by Raymond A. Cornelius and Sara E. Cornelius and continued under their leadership until September 1976. The school was purchased and formed into Williamsport School of Commerce, Inc., under the laws of Pennsylvania. The school is administered by J. Bryant Mullen and Michelle L. Mullen. Neither subsidized nor endowed, the institution is entirely dependent for its continuous success upon the quality of its training as evidenced by the achievement of its graduates.
In June of 1982, The Williamsport School of Commerce purchased the former Clay Elementary School from Williamsport Area School District. Built in 1963, this beautiful brick building has six spacious classrooms for instructional use. In January 1996 the name was changed to Newport Business Institute, Inc. Although located in a residential area, it is still not far from the business district.
Shortly after the building was purchased, air conditioning was added to allow the students to study in a comfortable environment during the warm, summer months. Newport Business Institute continues to make every effort to beautify the campus. The purchase of adjacent property will allow for future expansion should the need arise.